If you are unaware of how to modify/change MAC Address of Android devices, then today we are going to bring to you a well-detailed guide on how to easily modify/change MAC address of Android devices. Tha sounds interesting, right? This post is all about How to Change MAC Address of Android devices without getting errors.
- Top Ways To Secure Rooted Devices from Security Threats
- How to Flash Samsung Galaxy S7 using ODIN Tool on Computer
- Samsung Galaxy S8: Specs, Features and Release Date
Before actually taking you through the tutorial with the steps required to modify/change MAC Address of Android devices, let us take a brief outlook on what the MAC Address actually is and why would you consider to modify/change MAC Address of Android device?
What is MAC Address?
MAC Address is short for Media Access Control address, which is a unique identifying address with character length of 12 characters that are assigned to each piece of hardware that has internet connectivity.
Simply speaking, the MAC Address allows us to identify via which device someone is trying to access the internet. The MAC Address is generally provided to network adapters and similar hardware and every device have a unique MAC address. To know more about the generations of MAC Address, go through this link.
Why Modify/Change MAC Address of Android Devices?
There may be many reasons which would require you to change the MAC Address of your Android devices, some of them are listed below:
- Changing or modifying the MAC Address of your Android devices helps in preventing any potential hackers to keep a track of your Android device even if they are connected to the same WIFI network as yours.
- Certain Internet Service Providers provide internet connection to its registered users by recognising the MAC Address of the device used by the user. In case you are accessing your ISP from a different device then modifying the MAC Address of your Android device will help you get back online in no time, rather than contacting the ISP and resolving the issue.
- The MAC Address of your personal Android device is a very sensitive piece of information as it is unique for every device. In case someone performs some malicious online activities by using your Android device’s MAC Address, you may end up being responsible for such actions.
Best MAC Address Changer Apps for Android
For Spoofing your MAC Address, you could use some of the available Android Apps to Change the MAC Address on Android device. Here I’ve mentioned those Mac address changer Android Apps below along with direct download links. You could download those Best Mac Address Changer apps for android and change the MAC Address of your device. Or else you could try it manually by following the instructions below.
|MAC Address Changer Android Apps||Download Links|
|Download ChameleMAC||Link [Playstore]|
|Download nMAC||Link [APK]|
|Download WiFi Mac Changer||Link 1 [Playstore]|
Steps to Spoof MAC Address of your Android Phone [Manually]
This guide works mostly on Android devices powered by the MediaTek processor and only a temporary change in MAC Address can be done using this method. Once you restart your Android device, the MAC reverts to the old one. I have shared two easiest way to change MAC address via Apps and manually. You can try both the methods or anyone! Let’s get started!
Change MAC Address of Android Devices without Root Access
- Go to Settings>About Phone>Select Status and then make a note of the current MAC Address of your Android device.
- Download the Android Terminal Emulator application from the Google Play Store. You can directly navigate to the Android Terminal Emulator Google Play Store download page by clicking here.
- Launch the above application on your Android device and then type “IP LINK SHOW”.
- Note the interface name of your Android device from the list.
- And then type in the command below,
ip link set interfacename XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY
- Replace interfacename with the Interface Name of your network that you noted in Step 4 above and XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY with the MAC Address you wish to set.
- And that’s it. The MAC Address of your Android device will now be modified/changed.
Change MAC Address of Android devices with Root Access
- This guide only works on rooted Android devices.
- You need the Busybox app for Android installed on your device. You can download and install the Busybox Android application from here.
- Also, download and install the Terminal Window Android app on your Android device from here.
- Launch the app and enter the command below. It will display the current MAC Address of your Android device.
busybox ip link show eth0
- Type the command shared below,
busybox ifconfig etho0 hw ether XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY
- Replace ” XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY ” with the MAC Address of your choice.
- And it’s completed. You can now use the command in Step 4 above to verify whether the MAC Address has changed or not.
Enjoyed this quick and detailed guide on how to modify/change MAC Address of Android devices? Then do spread the word and share this article.
Stay tuned for more updates on Android Tricks 2017!