Google recently unveiled their next version of Android to the world by releasing the Android O Developer Preview. Everyone is excited as it is bringing a lot of new improvements on both UI and functions. It is, however, a bit problematic for the custom modders and devs as it is getting harder and harder to root each Android iteration. Let’s check out How to Root Android O Developer Preview!
Google is finding and fixing every flaw that was there in the previous version. But worry not the SuperSu developer Chainfire has already found a working method to root the Android O Developer Preview.
- Best Root Apps for Android Phones and Tablets
- How to Run Snapchat on Rooted Android Smartphones
- Top 20 Best Root Apps for Rooted Devices
The method is devised by Chainfire and it is still very early. He finds the Android O very similar to the current Android Nougat which made it easier to root. If you want to root your Android O Developer Preview running Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P, read the instruction below.
Root Android O Developer Preview
If you want to root your Android O Developer Preview running Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P, read the instruction below.
Rooting will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. Keep in mind and do it at your own risk even if you are following this guide. We at Techora are not responsible for any damage that might happen to your device in this process. This guide is written carefully detailing all necessary steps and by following it you agree that you understand these risks.
- As we mentioned before, the method is currently only for Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. Do not attempt to follow this method on any other devices.
- This won’t work on newer Pixel or Pixel XL devices.
- Some users may face “Kernel Panic” issue and there is no real way to fix it now according to Chainfire. Only Google can solve and maybe he will come up with a fix later on. Not all but some Nexus devices have this problem while booting up.
- Even if an app gets root access, it does not always work. This is because the Android O is very new and some things have changed from what it was before. So keep that in mind.
- An unlocked bootloader on your Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X.
- TWRP or Clockwork Recovery (Latest version).
- Android O Developer Preview running on your phone.
SuperSU-v2.79-SR4-20170323220017-ODP1-5X-6P.zip – Link
Steps to Root Android O Developer Preview
- Download and transfer the file provided above to your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into recovery by pressing Power and Volume Down button at the same time.
- Press Flash and select the SuperSu zip file. Flash it and reboot your device.
- Go to backup option and perform a full Nandroid Backup of all partitions such as System, Data, EFS, Boot, etc.
- Go back to the recovery menu and select install and select the SuperSu zip you downloaded.
- Install it and reboot. First boot may take a while to complete.
That’s it. Now you have rooted your phone. Hope our guide to root Android O Developer Preview helped you. If you have any queries, drop a comment below.