The idea of home schooling is steadily growing in popularity. Many parents now want to teach their kids at home. They do not like the idea of sending their children to public or private schools.
But parents who choose to do so are aware of the fact that they are shouldering a great responsibility. Those parents have to spend a lot of time at home, and they have to figure out more effective ways to educate their kids.
There was a time when homeschooling was popular only in rural areas. But now, for a host of reasons, many people living in big cities are showing great interest in homeschooling. Homeschooling has become easier and more effective partly because of the availability of online resources.
- 1 Benefits of homeschooling
- 2 Tips for homeschooling
Benefits of homeschooling
Contrary to popular belief, homeschooling can be good for your kids in many ways. Many studies have shown that homeschooled children outperform their peers who have attended private or public schools.
When you decide to homeschool your kids, you try to bring out the best out of them. There are many things that traditionally educated students miss. Here are the most notable benefits of homeschooling:
In traditional schools, students learn better when the students-teacher ration is smaller. It explains why homeschooling works so well. When it comes to homeschooling, parents can help their kids individually, and make sure that their kids master skills according to their learning capabilities.
As a result, genuine learning takes place, and students end up learning more. Homeschooling involves one-to-one tutoring, and this is part of the reason why it is so effective.
Learning can be tailored to specific educational needs
Every child has unique strengths, weaknesses, interests and learning styles. In homeschooling, parents can easily asses them can figure out effective ways to teach their children. To strengthen your child’s weaknesses and make learning more effective, you can customize your child’s education. It will help you know what your child really wants to learn. As, a result, learning will be very effective.
Homeschooled students learn how to think independently
This is one of the best benefits of homeschooling. Before following the ideas of a group, homeschooled kids first try to make up their own minds. It teaches them how to make important decisions, and makes them confident.
When these students grow up, they find themselves more mature than their peers who attended public or private schools. Homeschooled kids are not easily influenced by their peers because they can think independently.
If you know the right way to homeschool your kids, you can almost completely eradicate boredom from the learning process. When learning is specifically tailored, your child will be able to put consistent effort without feeling pressured.
Besides, your child will not have to waste time on the topics he or she has already mastered. The result is less boredom and more enthusiasm.
Safe learning environment
In public or private schools, many children have to deal with negative peer pressure, bullying, bad influences, teasing, and misbehaving teachers. But when you homeschool your child, he or she will not have to deal with any of these problems.
As a result, your child will learn more. In this safe learning environment, your child will grow up with a positive outlook and later he will treat other with compassion.
Children have different styles of learning. Children with special learning needs face a lot of problems in public or private schools. But homeschooling can solve these problems to a great extent.
Once you can figure out the special learning needs of your child, you can customize the curriculum to make learning more effective. Your child no longer has to blindly follow the methods that do not work for him or her. True learning takes place, and learning becomes fun.
More achievement in the long run
Homeschooling is also better in terms of achievement. When homeschooled children face standardized tests, they do better. And when these children are enrolled in public schools or colleges, they do better.
If your child is homeschooled, he or she will be more likely to graduate from a traditional college. According to a 2009 study, this percentage is 60%. But only 59% of the students from public schools graduate from colleges. The study also showed that students who attended catholic schools are even less likely to graduate from colleges.
Tips for homeschooling
There is no doubt that homeschooling is a better way to educate your kids, but you must know how to do it right. Here are a few tips that will help you make homeschooling easier and more effective:
- There is a legal way to do homeschooling. Your state or location may have rules that are different from the rules in other states. Before you start the journey, make sure you know what you are required to do.
- Teaching a kid is not easy. You will need a lot of patience to do so. Do not create pressure on your child before he or she is ready. If you have enough patience, you child will gradually make progress.
- You will find a lot of resources online that will help you teach your child effectively. To keep school and home distinct, your child may need a separate place for learning activities. It is important to integrate life and education, and you will need some homeschooling and decorating advice to do so.
- Do your own research to learn about curriculum guides, guidebooks, and workbooks needed for homeschooling. Learn about the costs of homeschooling, and learn how you can make the teaching and learning processes more effective. Do not forget distance learning and extracurricular activities.
- Explore what your city can offer you. You will find a lot of resources in libraries, cultural event and museums. Take your child to these places and try to make him or her interested in them. Confining your child always inside the home is not a good idea.
- Pay special attention to your child’s social skills. The main complaint against homeschooling is that it does not help children develop social skills. Let you child play with other kids and have fun. Your child can get the best out of homeschooling only when you can make a perfect balance between these two worlds.
- To complement learning materials, make the best use of technology. There are a lot of YouTube channels that can help your child understand difficult concepts. Let your child watch documentaries. If you want to teach him or her foreign languages, live lectures and Skype can be very helpful.
The idea of homeschooling is getting more and more popular, and there are perfect reasons for this. Educating your kids at home is one of the best things you can do to enable them to thrive in the 21st century, but the success of this endeavor will depend on how serious you are about it.
BioMy name is Erica Fleming. I support the effective adoption of new technologies or ways of working within writing by communicating complex information in an informative and inspiring way. My works you can at freebooksummary website — here. I’m fond of writing articles for students, helping with essays.