Moto G5 Plus is the latest addition to the mid-range budget smartphones from Motorola/Lenovo. It was released last month and after a while, the sibling Moto G5 was released too. Finally, we now have a way to root and install TWRP on the device. So if you own a Moto G5 Plus and want to root and install recovery on it, follow our guide here to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G5 Plus.
We are showing you a very simple procedure that doesn’t require a PC or laptop. This just uses your Moto G5 Plus smartphone to root it. After rooting your device, you will gain a lot of access like: Can uninstall factory apps, install your own custom ROMs, change system settings, etc. It is what every Android enthusiast will do first thing after buying a new phone.
Rooting or flashing Custom ROMs will void your warranty and can brick your device if done wrong. Keep that in mind and do it at your own risk even if you are following this guide. We are not responsible for any damage that might happen to your device in this process. This guide is written carefully detailing all necessary steps and by following it you agree that you understand these risks.
- Make sure that your device is at least 50-60% charged.
- All files present in your phone will be erased. So be sure to take a backup before proceeding.
- This method only works for Moto G5 Plus. Do not attempt this on any other smartphones.
- As we already mentioned, rooting will void your warranty.
Benefits of Rooting
Benefits you ask? There are many. Rooting is an essential thing that almost every Android enthusiast does after getting a new smartphone. It unlocks the full potential of an Android, it lets you install custom ROMs, tweak hardware inside, change the looks of software and a lot more.
There are improvements that can be made to increase performance, tweaks and a lot more. So it is surely a good step to take and you can unroot your device anytime to roll back to the starting state. The process is simple and reversible.
- ADB and Fastboot tools – Link
- TWRP for Moto G5 Plus – Link
- Magisk Manager – Link
- no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1 – Link
Steps to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G5 Plus
Installing TWRP Recovery
- Go to Android setting’s Developer options and enable Android debugging.
- Install ADB and Fastboot tools and place the TWRP recovery for Moto G5 Plus .img file in that folder. Rename the file to “recovery.img”
- Now, go to the ADB folder where it was installed and open the CMD window by pressing ‘shift’ key and right-clicking anywhere on the folder.
- Connect your phone to the PC and reboot it by typing the command below.
adb reboot bootloader
- That will take you to the Fastboot mode. Now you can check the connection with this command:
- If it shows your device, type in this last code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now your device will reboot automatically after installing TWRP recovery. Next, we just need to root using Magisk Manger with the TWRP we just installed.
Rooting the Moto G5 Plus
- Download the Magisk Manager zip file.
- Boot into recovery mode.
- Go to Wipe and tap Format Data and confirm it by typing “yes”.
- Reboot the TWRP into Recovery mode and copy the Magisk zip file and no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip file that you find above in your phone.
- Go to Install zip and select the no-verity-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip. Flash it.
- Reboot your device and boot into TWRP recovery again.
- Now flash the Magisk zip file and then wipe cache and Dalvik cache.
- Reboot your phone again and now your phone is rooted.
That’s it. Now you have successfully rooted your Moto G5 Plus. Hope this guide to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Moto G5 Plus helped you. Share it and drop a comment below if you have any queries.