Google Assistant is the Google’s personal assistant that came on Android phones. It has impressed and many people interested in using it. We have already shared a method to use Google Now instead of Google Assistant in your Android phone. Now we here share another trick. This time it is about getting the Google Assistant on your PC! Yes, be it running Windows, Linux or even Mac, you can run Google Assistant on it with this trick. Head on to our guide to Install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC now.
Windows 10 PCs already come with a digital assistant. It’s Microsoft Cortana if you are not aware of. But still, it would be a lot of fun to try other assistants like Google Assistant on PC right? If you think so too, you can follow the guide below. You will only need Python 3 to run the Assistant program. The process is very simple.
- 1 What’s Google Assistant?
- 2 Download Google Assistant For Windows, Linux, and Mac PC
- 3 Steps to Install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC
What’s Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is the successor of Google Now. Google Assistant is Google’s latest and probably the final answer to Apple Siri, Amazon Alexa and the Microsoft Cortana (Although Windows is not really in the scene now). It is the successor of Google Now and has taken over its place with all Google Now features like “Ok Google” and more. It was launched exclusively on Google Pixel devices last year.
Google Assistant works with voice commands like Hey Google now instead of older Ok Google. After installation, you can ask any questions or instruct it to do something. We just shared how to download and install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC easily.
Like we said before, you will need Python 3.x.x for doing this. You will also need an active internet connection and then you are set. You should follow a series of steps and will be using CMD to carry out those. The Google Assistant can at last be used on your PC. But you won’t get the UI of the Google Assistant as in Android smartphone. It will be just in the command prompt window for you to use. If you are ready, just dive into the guide below to install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC.
Download Google Assistant For Windows, Linux, and Mac PC
Python 3 – Link (Select Version 3.x.x)
Steps to Install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC
The entire installation process of Google Assistant comes with 4 main steps and those 4 required ways are mentioned down below with step-by-step instructions to make the installation process really quick and easy. That’s how we install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC. If you have any doubts, just drop them below!
Step 1: Installing Python 3 on your PC
- You first need to download & install Python 3 on your PC. Follow the download link provided above and select the right version for your computer.
- After downloading the installer, run it to start the installation process.
- After installation is done, run the same installer again and click Modify in the setup this time.
- Press Next twice and you will be at the Advanced Options now. There, tick the Add Python to environment variables. Then press Install.
- Now, open CMD and enter the following command.
- You will see the result like in the screenshot below. That’s it about Python.
Step 2: Google Assistant API
- Head to this link. It will take you to the Project Page in Google Cloud Platform.
- Press Create Project there and give it a name like Google Assistant.
- Press Create button and let the project get created.
- After the creation, go to the page where Google Assistant API is provided with this link.
- Just press Enable button there.
- Then it might ask you to create credentials. Press the button if it is asked.
- Fill in the details like the API you are using and others with the details we gave below.
- Which API are you using? – Google Assistant API.
- Where will you be calling the API from? – Other UI (eg. Windows, CLI tool).
- What data will you be accessing? – User data.
- Then press Create an OAuth 2.0 client ID and give it any name.
- After that, give the product name show to others in the field. Give it any name.
- It will now provide the JSON file for you to download. Press I’ll do this later option.
- You will be at the OAuth 2.0 client IDs page, press the download button beside the client ID you created.
- Save the file in your desktop with the name Google Assistant.
- Now, go to this link. Enable Web & App Activity, Location History, Device Information and Voice & Audio Activity options there.
Step 3: Installing Google Assistant Sample Python Project
- For the next step, make sure you are connected to the internet and the open CMD. Type the command given below. It will install the sample python project.
py -m pip install google-assistant-sdk[samples]
- The command prompt will start downloading everything needed. Be patient for it to complete.
- The JSON file downloaded in step 2, copy its file path and its file name too.
Enter it with this command in the CMD window.
py -m googlesamples.assistant.auth_helpers --client-secrets C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Google Assistant\client_secret_XXX.apps.googleusercontent.com.json
- Replace the code’s path with your own path and file names. Enter the code and you will be given a unique URL for your Google account only.
- Copy that URL and paste it into the address bar of your browser.
- Sign in with your Google account and a Unique Authorization Code will be given to you.
- Copy and paste that code in the CMD window now. That’s it.
Step 4: Using Google Assistant
- Now the only remaining thing is to run and try the Google Assistant on your PC to check whether its working or not.
- In CMD, enter the code below
python -m googlesamples.assistant
- That will record a 5-second audio for the input to be given. You can enter the same code again to use it.
- That’s it. You’ve done a great job!
Finally, you now have the Google Assistant running. We know it was a long guide but it gave you the Google Assistant at last. It can be used to do anything you do with a Google Assistant on your Android as it uses the same API from Google. The only inconvenience may be its UI. It doesn’t exactly use the Google’s look. But you have the program now!
That’s it from us here. Hope you enjoyed the guide to Install Google Assistant on Windows, Linux or Mac PC. Be sure to ask any doubts or queries in the comment section below. If you liked the article, share it with your friends. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more tricks!