We all know that the new Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus will come with their own smart assistant – Bixby. Samsung also has a dedicated hardware button to call Bixby set on their S8 devices. Samsung is proud with their AI assistant that is designed to go head on against Apple’s Siri and Google Assistant. But even before consumers, several online reviewers expressed their views on how they would like to have this Bixby button changed/remapped to launch Google Assistant instead of Bixby. So if you share their views, you can follow this guide to Make Galaxy S8/S8 Plus’ Bixby Button to Launch Google Assistant.
Even though Samsung’s Bixby is expected to be really good on its own, we can’t ignore the fact that Google Assistant is already out and in place offering a lot of cool features. We are already used to it and so it is really a good idea to have Galaxy S8/S8 Plus’ Bixby button to launch Google Assistant.
Finally, there is a way to remap the key’s function. But we don’t know who to credit as so many people claim that they found the way first. Nevertheless, let’s head into the guide below to achieve this.
All in one Gestures – Playstore Link
Make Galaxy S8/S8 Plus’ Bixby Button to Launch Google Assistant
- Download and install the app provided above from Play Store.
- Open it. You will be asked to grant permissions to modify system settings. Grant it and proceed.
- Swipe left to get to HARD KEYS tab.
- Here, tap Enable. Now the app will ask you to enable All in one Gestures in the system’s Accessibility settings. Tap it and you will be taken to the System settings. Enable the app there.
- Return to the app now. Tap the menu button on the top right corner.
- Click Custom Keys and click Add Custom Key. Now, simply press the dedicated Bixby button on your device. Even if the Bixby Assistant is launched, just press back and return to the All in one Gestures app.
- Once you are there, you will notice the Key Code field has the number 1082. That is the key code sent by your Bixby button.
- Now press Add. You will have the key code under your Custom Keys section as #1082.
- Press the circle next to this Key Code #1082.
- A screen called Action will show up. Search the list for Voice Search option. Set it on the Key Code #1082.
Make the Bixby Button launch Google Now
- You can also have Google Now instead of Google Assistant on the Bixby button. For this just open the All in one Gestures app and go to HARD KEYS and then the custom key we just made.
- Swipe left to reach Application screen. A list of all apps on your device will now appear.
- Select Google from that list. This will now launch Google Now when the Bixby button is pressed.
That’s it! You have now successfully remapped the Galaxy S8/S8 Plus’ Bixby button. Hope you enjoyed our guide to Make Galaxy S8/S8 Plus’ Bixby Button to Launch Google Assistant. Share and comment below. Stay tuned for more!