The latest Android O’s Developer Preview was rolled out by Google over a month ago. It was available for preview for the developers now. After the release, there was a way found to Root Android O by Chainfire. That method was only available for Nexus and Pixel devices. But still, it caused some problems in Pixel phone and so a new way was developed. We here share you the same and let you Install TWRP & Root Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel/Pixel XL.
Root Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel/Pixel XL
This method was devised by Sachi315 which will root the Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones. It actually installs Android 7.1.2 Nougat on one partition of Pixel/Pixel XL’s dual partition system and Android O on another. Now let’s get into the guide straight on Root Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel/Pixel XL.
Download Required Files
Step 1: Setting up the latest fastboot binaries
- Download and extract the latest ADB and fastboot binaries and place the “platform-tools” folder on your computer within a new folder named Android.
- Now, go to the Control Panel and select System and Security > System. You can press Winkey and just type Control Panel to get there.
- There, under Computer name, domain and workgroup settings, press the Change settings option.
- Go to Advanced and click the Environment Variables button at the bottom.
- A new dialog box opens up. There double-click the Path under System Variables.
- In the new dialog box, press New and there, enter the location of the platform-tools folder that you placed earlier. As we put it in the C: within a folder named Android, it should be C:\Android\platform-tools in this case.
- After that, press OK and exit.
- Click OK to save it and restart your PC now.
- The lastest ADB and fastboot binaries must be now ready and installed in your PC. You can check whether or not it is installed by opening CMD and entering the command fastboot.
Step 2: Editing flash-all.bat files for Android 7.1.2 and Android O
- Extract the Android 7.1.2 and Android O image files into separate folders.
- Open the Android 7.1.2 folder first and find the flash-all.bat file in there and right-click it and press Edit.
- The commands there will look messy at first. So you can add spaces between those commands and create new lines to make edits easier while working.
- Near the end of the commands, add this line: -skip-reboot between the update and image-sailfish part. This will maker sure that the device will not reboot after the completion of flashing process.
- Next, we have to add few commands to make sure that this image (Android 7.1.2) only installs into the first partition of Pixel.
- Look at the image below and add the -slot commands as show there, you need to add them in three places.
- After these changes, save the batch file with the same name in the folder. Then leave the folder.
- Follow the same steps for the Android O folder now but instead of -slot_a, add -slot_b in the same locations of the codes. Refer the image to be clear.
- Save this batch file with the same name too and exit.
Step 3: Flashing the image files
- Turn off your Pixel or Pixel XL smartphone.
- Get into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding the power and volume down keys.
- Then, connect the phone to the PC with an USB cable.
- Open CMD and enter the command
fastboot --slot _a -w
- After the execution of last one, enter:
fastboot --slot _b -w
- That code will wipe the partitions of your Pixel device. After that, enter:
- Then enter this code:
- Now your phone will boot into bootloader once again.
- You can close the CMD window and then run the flash-all.bat file in the Android O Developer Preview folder we prepared before.
- Then, run the flash-all.bat file in the Android 7.1.2 folder.
- Once they are done running, open command prompt again and type
- After that, enter this to reboot into bootloader again
- The phone will boot into bootloader where it should say slot a.
Step 4: Installing TWRP and Rooting Pixel/Pixel XL
- We are in the final part of the guide to Root Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel/Pixel XL. We only need to install the TWRP recovery and rooting will complete after that.
- Boot into the recovery mode of Pixel by pressing and holding power and volume down buttons.
- If you can access your device’s internal storage from PC, transfer the TWRP RC2 and SuperSu SR4 2.79 Extra Delay files you downloaded before to it.
- If you can’t access it, then go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe and wipe the internal memory.
- After getting both files, flash the TWRP RC2 file first.
- Now, switch the slot to slot b in TWRP and reboot to recovery.
- Now you will be in slot b of the recovery mode. Flash the SuperSU SR4 2.79 Extra Delay now.
- Reboot the phone now and you are done.
- How to Root Android O Developer Preview with SuperSU
- Enable Picture-In-Picture Mode in Android O
- Install APK files on Android O from External Sources
When you turn your Pixel on, it will boot into Android O developer preview with SuperSU installed inside. That’s all for our guide on Installing TWRP & Root Android O Developer Preview on Google Pixel/Pixel XL. Stay tuned for more updates!